Mathematics Education (2018)
The Mathematics Education programme provides professional development for educators interested in curriculum development, learning and teaching in mathematics education. The Programme is part of the Technology, Environmental, Mathematics and Science (TEMS) Education Centre, which offers professional development for graduates in technology, environmental, mathematics, science and education who are interested in pursuing postgraduate study in the TEMS group of subjects. Intending students should discuss their programme of study with the Director of the Centre.
The following undergraduate papers are available to all students (including BTchg, Dip(ED) and GradDip(Ed)) who want to broaden their education knowledge in the area of mathematics.
Initial enquiries should be made to the Postgraduate Studies Office, Faculty of Education.
- MTHED100 - 18A (HAM) - Conceptual Understanding in Mathematics for Educators
Prescriptions for the PGDip(MathsEd) and MEd
To complete the Postgraduate Diploma in Mathematics Education, students must take 120 points at 500 level, including a mathematics education paper taken from the following list, a directed study in mathematics education, an educational research methods paper, and a further paper in either mathematics or education.
To complete the Master of Education with a focus on Mathematics Education, students will normally complete 180 points at 500 level from the following list, including either DSOE557 or PCSS502, and one of a Directed Study equivalent 30 points, a Dissertation equivalent to 60 points, or a Thesis equivalent to 90 or 120 points.
- DSOE557 - 18A (HAM), 18A (TGA), 18B (NET) & 18S (BLK) - Research Methods
- DSOE590 - 18D (HAM) & 18D (NET) - Directed Study
- EDUCA500 - 18B (BTG) - Culturally Responsive Methodologies incorporating kaupapa Maori and critical theories
- MAOED500 - 18C (HAM) - Rangahau Kaupapa Maori - Kaupapa Maori Research
- MSTE501 - 18B (NET) - Mathematics Education
- MSTE502 - 18A (BTG) - Acquiring Numeracy: How Thinking Develops
- MSTE503 - 18C (BLK) - Effective Practice in the Mathematics Classroom
- MSTE504 - Numeracy Difficulties: Issues and Practice
- THED590 - 18C (HAM), 18C (NET) & 18C (TGA) - Directed Study
- THED592 - 18C (HAM), 18C (NET) & 18C (TGA) - Dissertation
- THED593 - 18C (HAM), 18C (NET) & 18C (TGA) - Thesis
- THED594 - 18C (HAM), 18C (NET) & 18C (TGA) - Thesis
2018 Catalogue of Papers information as of 20 September 2017 4:40pm