Media Design (2018)
Media Design combines elements of design, screen and media studies within a single major. It offers students a comprehensive education in the theory, research and design of multi-modal media content for screen and multi-media platforms.
Media Design is available as a major for the BDes. Media Design may also be included as a minor or a second major in other undergraduate degrees, subject to the approval of the Faculty in which the student is enrolled.
To complete Media Design as a single major for the BDes, students must gain 135 points from papers listed for Media Design, including 105 points above 100 level, and 60 points above 200 level. Students must complete DSIGN141, MEDIA100, DSIGN242, MEDIA202, MEDIA203, 15 points from MEDIA302 or MEDIA303, and MEDIA306, MEDIA307 and DSIGN360.
To complete Media Design as part of a second major for other undergraduate degrees, students must gain 120 points from papers listed for Media Design, including 90 points above 100 level, and 45 points above 200 level. Students must complete MEDIA100, DSIGN141, MEDIA202, MEDIA203, DSIGN242, and 45 points from MEDIA302 or MEDIA303, MEDIA306, MEDIA307 and DSIGN360.
To complete a minor in Media Design, students must complete 60 points from the papers listed for the Media Design major, including at least 30 points above 100 level.
Note: This new major/minor is subject to approval by the Universities New Zealand Committee on University Academic Programmes (CUAP).
- COMPX101 - 18A (HAM), 18A (NET) & 18B (HAM) - Introduction to Computer Science
- COMPX161 - 18B (HAM) - Computing Media
- CSMAX170 - 18A (HAM) & 18B (HAM) - Foundations in Computing and Mathematical Sciences
- DSIGN125 - 18A (HAM) - Introduction to Communication Design Production
- DSIGN141 - 18A (HAM) - Design 1
- DSIGN142 - 18B (HAM) - Design 2
- DSIGN151 - 18B (HAM) - A History of Visual Communication
- DSIGN171 - 18A (HAM) - Design Methodology
- MEDIA100 - 18A (HAM) - Understanding Visual Culture
- MEDIA102 - 18A (HAM) & 18B (HAM) - Film Production 1: Audio-Visual Communication
- DSIGN350 - 18A (HAM) - Intern Project
2018 Catalogue of Papers information as of 20 September 2017 4:40pm