Materials and Process Engineering (2018)
The Materials and Process Engineering programme covers a wide range of skills and contains two engineering disciplines that overlap in many areas. The materials engineer makes critical decisions in selecting the best materials for a particular function; the process engineer makes critical decisions in the processes and utilities required to manufacture the product. For example, materials engineering involves understanding the properties and uses of wood and steel, designing and constructing new filters for sewage treatment, and providing new materials for the energy industry. Process engineering include converting trees into paper and fibre board, iron sand into steel, effluent into drinkable water, and gas into electricity.
Materials and Process Engineering is available as a specified programme for the BE(Hons).
To complete the specified programme in Materials and Process Engineering, students must follow the following programme.
- CHEMY102 - 18B (HAM) & 18B (SEC) - Chemical Reactivity
- ENGEN103 - 18A (HAM) & 18B (HAM) - Engineering Computing
- ENGEN110 - 18B (HAM) - Engineering Mechanics
- ENGEN112 - 18B (HAM) - Materials Science and Engineering
- ENGEN170 - 18B (HAM) - Engineering and Society
- ENGEN180 - 18A (HAM) - Foundations of Engineering
- ENGEN183 - 18A (HAM) & 18B (HAM) - Linear Algebra and Statistics for Engineers
- ENGEN184 - 18A (HAM), 18B (HAM) & 18S (HAM) - Calculus for Engineers
- ENGCB223 - 18B (HAM) - Fluid Mechanics
- ENGCB224 - 18B (HAM) - Heat and Mass Transfer
- ENGCB280 - 18B (HAM) - Process Engineering Design 1
- ENGEN201 - 18B (HAM) - Engineering Mathematics 2
- ENGEN270 - 18A (HAM) - Engineering Professional Practice 1
- ENGEN271 - 18C (HAM) - Industry Placement 1
- ENGME221 - 18A (HAM) - Engineering Thermodynamics
- ENGMP211 - 18A (HAM) - Materials 1
- ENGMP213 - 18A (HAM) - Mechanics of Materials 1
- ENGG372 - 18C (HAM) - Engineering Work Placement 2
- ENGG379 - 18A (HAM) - Reflection on Professional Workplace Experience
- ENMP311 - 18B (HAM) - Materials 2
- ENMP313 - 18A (HAM) - Mechanics of Materials 2
- ENMP321 - 18B (HAM) - Process Engineering and Design
- ENMP323 - 18A (HAM) - Transport Processes and Unit Operations
Students must take the following papers and a further 10 points at 200 level or above.
- ENGG381 - 18A (HAM) - Engineering Statistics
- ENGG492 - 18A (HAM), 18B (HAM), 18C (HAM) & 18Y (HAM) - Honours Research and Management Project
- ENMP411 - 18A (HAM) - Advanced Materials Engineering
- ENMP422 - 18A (HAM) - Advanced Process Simulation and Control
2018 Catalogue of Papers information as of 20 September 2017 4:40pm