Language and Literacy Education (2018)
Language and Literacy Education encompasses the teaching and learning of literacy, reading and writing, literature, and language and languages in the compulsory sector. It also includes contexts beyond schooling such as academic literacy and writing in tertiary contexts, and literacy for adults in the community and in workplaces.
Specialist areas include but are not restricted to: Critical literacy, Dyslexia, Bilingualism, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), Teaching Languages other than English.
Papers are offered at undergraduate and postgraduate level. We encourage students to plan a pathway both within and between undergraduate and postgraduate papers, and to bridge into research at a higher level by doing a Directed Study (ALED590).
Initial enquiries should be made to the Postgraduate Studies Office, Faculty of Education.
Note: The following 100-300 level papers are available to all University of Waikato students except where the subject code is TEAL in which case papers are only available to students enrolled in a Faculty of Education teacher education programme.
- LLTED100 - 18A (HAM), 18A (NET), 18A (TGA), 18B (HAM) & 18B (NET) - Writing for University Purposes
- LLTED101 - 18B (HAM) - An Introduction to Children's Literature
Prescriptions for the PGDip(LangLitEd)
To complete the Postgraduate Diploma in Language and Literacy Education, students must take 120 points at 500 level, including at least three of ALED501, ALED502, ALED503, ALED504, ALED507, ALED508, ALED509, ALED520, ALED521, ALED522, ALED523, ALED524 and ALED525; and one other approved paper.
- ALED501 - 18A (NET) - Literacy Education: Approaches and Perspectives
- ALED502 - Critical Literacy in Curriculum
- ALED504 - 18B (BLK) - Reading Difficulties
- ALED507 - Second Language Learners and Learning in Mainstream Classrooms
- ALED509 - Literacy and Technology: Implications for Education
- ALED522 - 18B (NET) - Best Practice in the Writing Classroom
- ALED523 - 18B (BLK) - Using Children's Literature in the Classroom
- ALED551 - 18B (BLK) - Special Topic
- DSOE557 - 18A (HAM), 18A (TGA), 18B (NET) & 18S (BLK) - Research Methods
- EDUCA500 - 18B (BTG) - Culturally Responsive Methodologies incorporating kaupapa Maori and critical theories
- MAOED500 - 18C (HAM) - Rangahau Kaupapa Maori - Kaupapa Maori Research
- THED590 - 18C (HAM), 18C (NET) & 18C (TGA) - Directed Study
- THED592 - 18C (HAM), 18C (NET) & 18C (TGA) - Dissertation
- THED593 - 18C (HAM), 18C (NET) & 18C (TGA) - Thesis
- THED594 - 18C (HAM), 18C (NET) & 18C (TGA) - Thesis
2018 Catalogue of Papers information as of 20 September 2017 4:40pm