Interface Design (2018)
Interface Design investigates the intersection between design and code with respect to information design for contemporary and future screens. User experience (UX) and user interface (UI) design for current and emerging technologies will be taught with the development of digital skills of coding, motion design, and information design, preparing students to work in screen-based areas such as design for the web, app and mobile design, and interactive digital and data visualisation design.
Interface Design is available as a major for the BDes. Interface Design may also be included as a minor or a second major in other undergraduate degrees, subject to the approval of the Faculty in which the student is enrolled.
To complete Interface Design as a single major for the BDes, students must gain 135 points from papers listed for Interface Design, including 105 points above 100 level, and 60 points above 200 level. Students must complete DSIGN141, DSIGN142, DSIGN241, COMPX221, COMPX222, COMPX322, COMPX324, DSIGN341 and DSIGN360.
To complete Interface Design as a second major for other undergraduate degrees, students must gain 120 points from papers listed for Interface Design, including 90 points above 100 level, and 45 points above 200 level. Students must complete DSIGN141, DSIGN142, DSIGN241, COMPX221, COMPX222, and 45 points from COMPX322, COMPX324, DSIGN341 or DSIGN360.
To complete a minor in Interface Design, students must complete 60 points from the papers listed for the Interface Design major, including at least 30 points above 100 level.
Note: This new major/minor is subject to approval by the Universities New Zealand Committee on University Academic Programmes (CUAP).
- COMPX101 - 18A (HAM), 18A (NET) & 18B (HAM) - Introduction to Computer Science
- COMPX161 - 18B (HAM) - Computing Media
- CSMAX170 - 18A (HAM) & 18B (HAM) - Foundations in Computing and Mathematical Sciences
- DSIGN125 - 18A (HAM) - Introduction to Communication Design Production
- DSIGN141 - 18A (HAM) - Design 1
- DSIGN142 - 18B (HAM) - Design 2
- DSIGN151 - 18B (HAM) - A History of Visual Communication
- DSIGN171 - 18A (HAM) - Design Methodology
- MEDIA102 - 18A (HAM) & 18B (HAM) - Film Production 1: Audio-Visual Communication
2018 Catalogue of Papers information as of 20 September 2017 4:40pm