Community Health (2018)
Community Health is an interdisciplinary programme, which includes papers from the Waikato Management School as well as the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. The major embraces bi-culturalism and multi-culturalism by conceptualising health in a holistic sense. Moreover, it focuses on key relational and communication skills that are foundational to working with people in the health sector.
Community Health is available as a major for the Bachelor of Health, Sport and Human Performance. Community Health may also be included as a second major or minor in other undergraduate degrees, subject to the approval of the Faculty in which the student is enrolled.
To complete Community Health as a single major for the Bachelor of Health, Sport and Human Performance, students must gain 135 points from papers listed for Community Health, including 105 points above 100 level, and 60 points above 200 level. Students must complete CMYHE101, PSYCH101, CMYHE201, CMYHE202, 15 points from PUBRL202 or PSYCH202, and CMYHE301, CMYHE302, SOCPY301, and 15 points from LCOMM340 or PSYCH302.
To complete Community Health as part of a double major for the Bachelor of Health, Sport and Human Performance or other undergraduate degree, students must gain 120 points from papers listed for Community Health, including 90 points above 100 level, and 45 points above 200 level.
To complete a minor in Community Health, students must complete 60 points from the papers listed for the Community Health major, including at least 30 points above 100 level.
Note: This new major/minor is subject to approval by the Universities New Zealand Committee on University Academic Programmes (CUAP).
- CMYHE101 - 18A (HAM) & 18A (NET) - Understanding Hauora, Health and Wellbeing
- HPSCI101 - 18A (HAM) - Introduction to Human Performance Science
- HSHUP101 - 18A (HAM) - Foundations of Health, Sport and Human Performance
- HSHUP102 - 18A (HAM) & 18B (HAM) - The Fundamentals of Coaching and Instruction
- PSYCH101 - 18B (HAM) & 18B (TGA) - Social Psychology, Health and Well-being
- SDCOA101 - 18B (HAM) & 18B (NET) - Sport, Culture and Development: Trends and Issues
- CMYHE201 - 18A (HAM) - Healthy Lifestyles and Healthy Communities
- CMYHE202 - 18B (HAM) - Understanding the Healthy Body: Sociocultural Perspectives
- HSHUP201 - 18A (HAM) & 18A (NET) - Psychology of Health, Sport and Human Performance
- MAORI204 - 18A (HAM) - Maori and Indigenous Health and Wellbeing
- PSYCH202 - 18B (HAM) & 18B (TGA) - Mauri Ora: Social Psychology of Human Flourishing
- PUBRL202 - 18B (HAM) - Health Communication Campaigns
2018 Catalogue of Papers information as of 20 September 2017 4:40pm