Applied Computing (2018)
Applied Computing is available as a major for the BSc. Applied Computing may also be included as a second major or minor in other undergraduate degrees, subject to the approval of the Faculty in which the student is enrolled.
To complete Applied Computing as a single major for the BSc, students must gain 135 points from papers listed for Applied Computing, including 105 points above 100 level and 45 points above 200 level. Students must complete: COMPX101, COMPX161, COMPX221, COMPX222, COMPX223, DSIGN241, COMPX322, and COMPX324.
Note: Students who commenced a major in Applied Computing in 2017 or prior are encouraged to contact the Faculty of Computing and Mathematical Sciences for programme advice.
Note on Assessment: To be eligible to pass these papers, students should normally achieve a minimum grade of D in the internal assessment and the final examination, and an overall grade of C.
- COMPX101 - 18A (HAM), 18A (NET) & 18B (HAM) - Introduction to Computer Science
- COMPX161 - 18B (HAM) - Computing Media
- CSMAX170 - 18A (HAM) & 18B (HAM) - Foundations in Computing and Mathematical Sciences
- MATHS135 - 18B (HAM) - Discrete Structures
- STATS111 - 18A (HAM), 18A (TGA), 18B (HAM), 18B (NET) & 18B (TGA) - Statistics for Science
- STATS121 - 18A (HAM) - Introduction to Statistical Methods
- COMPX221 - 18A (HAM) - Programming for Creative Industries
- COMPX222 - 18B (HAM) - Internet Applications
- COMPX223 - 18A (HAM) - Database Practice and Experience
- COMPX251 - 18A (HAM), 18A (TGA), 18B (HAM) & 18S (HAM) - Information Discovery
- COMPX252 - 18A (HAM), 18B (HAM) & 18S (HAM) - Interactive Computing
- CSMAX270 - 18B (HAM) - Cultural Perspectives for Computing and Mathematical Sciences
- DSIGN241 - 18A (HAM) - Design 3: Aspects of Web Design
- COMP315 - 18B (HAM) & 18B (TGA) - Information Systems Development
- COMP321 - 18B (HAM) & 18B (TGA) - Practical Data Mining
- COMP324 - Interaction Design
- COMP325 - 18B (HAM) & 18B (TGA) - Human-Computer Interaction
- COMP329 - 18A (HAM) - Database Systems
- COMP333 - 18A (HAM) & 18A (TGA) - Web Applications Development
- COMP336 - 18B (HAM) - Graphics and Computer Games
- COMPX305 - Finding Patterns in Data
- COMPX324 - User Experience Design
- COMPX375 - Information Systems Industry Project
Prescriptions for the GradCert(AppComp) and GradDip(AppComp)
A Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma are available to graduates who have not included Applied Computing at an advanced level in their first degree. The requirements for the Graduate Diploma are prescribed in the Waikato Management School Student Handbook
2018 Catalogue of Papers information as of 20 September 2017 4:40pm